coolmapiehoff

Friday, September 15, 2006

We real cool.

WE REAL COOL
-by Gwendolyn Brooks

We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.


This is definitely one of my favorite poems. I enjoy how simple and straight forward it is. Because of parts like "we jazz june" and another select few, I totally agree with it. Though I can not relate to all of it, its unique structure and snazzy slang vividly appeal to me. In 10th grade I did an English project about this poem so it also brings back fun memories of working with my friends in the past. Hopefully, now, after reading this, you agree with me in digging this poem.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

That project was the best...Tory was a terrible singer..."Laugh out loud". The poem really is a great poem.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Yeah, now that I've read it....I do agree that I "dig" this poem (as you say). I kind of wsh I was there to enjoy the wonderous memories with all of you in 10th grade. Great analysis..love the big vocabulary...very sofisticated.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Stephen Goss said...

You are not the only student that is guilty of this, but you need to start supporting your statements and opinions with points of evidence (at the very least one or two points).
Why can or can't you relate to the various sections you bring up in your post? What does it mean to agree with the line "...Jazz June"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home